Home Network Wireless Routers
To set up a wireless network, you will need a home router and modem. While the modem brings the internet to your home, the router manages the connections between all the devices that need access to the internet, including mobile phones. Whether you have a single computer or a large network of computers, laptops, and printers, you'll want to choose a product that is capable of providing fast service to all your devices.
What are Some Common Wireless Router Brands?
Several different companies sell wireless routers, including:
What speed do you need?
Speed is measured in megabits per second. A high-speed router won't improve your Wi-Fi performance if you have a slow connection. If you pay for a higher speed internet connection, it's worth getting a product that delivers top speeds. For lower connection speeds, there is no need to go overboard on your Wi-Fi router capabilities. Common speeds include:
- 802.11n: This type offers speeds between 150 Mbps all the way to 600 Mbps.
- 802.11ac: This router delivers speeds over 1 gigabits per second. This is larger than megabits.
Do You Need Dual Band Capabilities?
Dual band allows your wireless network to be set up for more than one band, such as 2.4 gigahertz and 5 gigahertz. With the rise of consumer gadgets using 2.4 gigahertz, you can experience wireless interference in your home. The ability to switch to 5 gigahertz reduces this interference because fewer electronics are using it.
How Do You Choose Signal Strength?
The signal strength you need for your home Wi-Fi network depends on the layout of your home and how far away your computers and other equipment are from your modem and router. Even the building materials of your house can affect the strength. Check to see what the throughput is on the wireless router you are considering. Here is how to select the right strength:
- Near and mid-range: For a small house or a setup where your computer and your Wi-Fi router are in the same room or only a short distance apart, products that provide near to mid-range coverage should be enough.
- Far: If your computers are spread out across different parts of the house or are some distance from your Wi-Fi router, look for throughput that states it provides far coverage.
What Additional Features Should You Consider?
Common specifications to check include the number of LAN ports and USB ports. Depending on your home network setup, you may need these to connect multiple computers or printers. If you plan on using both Ethernet cables and Wi-Fi connectivity, you'll want enough LAN ports to support the number of wired connections. If you cannot find a product with enough ports, an Ethernet switch can work instead.
Wireless Routers and Gaming
Online gaming on PC and consoles is best served by using a direct connection to your modem, but if you're using a wireless connection, it's vital to ensure its reliability and speed. After all, you don't want high ping or lag when engaged in a high-stakes match. If you do a lot of online gaming, make sure to buy a router that will support high speeds and a constant connection.
Certified Refurbished Wireless Routers
While eBay offers buyers the choice between both new and used items, there's also a third option that may interest you: eBay Refurbished. Certified Refurbished items are sold by eBay-approved sellers. Each of these wireless routers comes with a like-new guarantee (including accessories, instruction manuals, and packaging), a free return/replacement policy (within 30 days of receiving the item), and a 2-year hassle-free warranty. We also regularly monitor our sellers to ensure they're meeting our stringent quality control metrics, so buyers know they're only getting the best.
Smart shopping with eBay Refurbished
eBay Refurbished is your budget-stretching secret weapon. eBay offers the best value on the biggest selection of refurbished products from exceptional sellers with warranties as good as or superior to what's offered on brand-new products.Because everyone should be empowered to get the exact products they want in the right condition at the right price so their dollars go further.
- Certified Refurbished: The item is in pristine, like-new condition, backed by a two-year warranty. It has been professionally inspected, cleaned, and refurbished by the manufacturer or a manufacturer-approved vendor to meet manufacturer specifications. The item will be in new packaging with original or new accessories.
- Excellent Refurbished: The item is in like-new condition, backed by a one year warranty. It has been professionally refurbished, inspected and cleaned to excellent condition by qualified sellers. The item includes original or new accessories and will come in new generic packaging.
- Very Good Refurbished: The item shows minimal wear and is backed by a one year warranty. It is fully functional and has been professionally refurbished, inspected and cleaned to very good condition by qualified sellers. The item includes original or new accessories and will come in new generic packaging.
- Good Refurbished: The item shows moderate wear and is backed by a one year warranty. It is fully functional and has been professionally refurbished, inspected and cleaned to good condition by qualified sellers. The item includes original or new accessories and will come in a new generic packaging.
Industry-leading Warranty and 30 day returns Included in Every Purchase
eBay has partnered with Allstate to include an award winning warranty in every box. So you're covered in the event your item breaks or malfunctions. Learn more about ebay refurbished warranty coverage.
eBay Refurbished items can be returned or replaced for free within 30 days of receiving them. Only a select group of eBay sellers can participate in the program, and we monitor their performance to ensure they live up to the highest standards of customer service. Learn more about the perks of shopping eBay Refurbished.
Returns Made Simple How It Works
Start your return: In My eBay, find the item under Purchase history, then in More actions, choose Return this item.
Select your reason: Depending on the seller's return policy, we may put you in touch with them directly.
Ship it back:You'll be issued a packing slip and shipping label. Pack the item and ship it.
Check the listing's return policy before making your purchase.
Be sure to note shipping deadlines and whether an item can be returned for refund, replacement, or exchange.
Return the item in the same condition you received it in -- pack it well. Learn more about the item condition policy
We work hard to make returns smooth. For those rare cases when they don't go that way, the eBay Money Back Guarantee may help. Get the item you ordered or your money back--guaranteed.
eBay Money Back Guarantee
Whatever you're buying--large or small--eBay offers many ways to ensure you get exactly what you want.
Get the item you ordered or your money back--it's that simple. Our eBay Money Back Guarantee applies to virtually everything on our site, and there's no extra fee for coverage. It's automatic and covers your purchase price plus original shipping on eligible purchases*.
Follow these steps to get your refund:
Contact Your Seller If an item hasn't arrived or isn't as described, go to My eBay, select the item in your purchase history, and reach out to your seller.
Not resolved? Let us know. If you've talked to your seller and the issue still isn't resolved after three business days, contact us.
We'll get your money back. Fast. You can count on hearing from us within 48 hours.
*Item exclusions apply. For full terms and conditions, read our eBay Money Back Guarantee policy.