What Are CRT TVs?
Before the age of flat screen TVs, CRT TVs commonly appeared in homes across the country. CRT stands for Cathode Ray Tube, which refers to a vacuum tube with a phosphorescent screen and electron guns that displays images on the TV screen. These days plasma, LCD, and other flat screen TV technologies are available new, but you can still find second hand Sony CRT TVs that can come in handy for a number of reason.
What Can I Use a CRT TV For?
While you wont get the same image resolution quality as you would with a flat screen TV, an older 20 to 29-inch screen size television can still serve its purpose in your home.
- As a gaming TV: Rather than tying up the main living room TV in your home for playing video games, you can have a television set up in the den or other space. You can leave the gaming console connected at all times. Some new gaming consoles and their games may not work so well due to the graphics, but older consoles will still work fine.
- As a spare TV: Instead of shelling out hundreds of dollars for a brand new flat screen TV, you can use an older television in the bedroom, games room, or guest room.
- For the kids: If you are worried about your children damaging or knocking over an expensive flat screen TV, using a CRT TV in their bedroom or play area is a great idea. You can connect up a DVD or Blu-ray player, so they can watch their own movies, leaving the family room TV for the adults.
What Should I Look Out for When Choosing a Second Hand TV?
When perusing second hand Sony TVs, there are some things that you should keep in mind:
- Remote control: Check to see if you will receive a remote control with the TV as this makes life a lot easier. If it doesnt come with a remote, you can check to see if it is possible to use a universal remote instead.
- Size: 20 to 29-inch TVs are small so they should fit into many spaces. Double check where you would like to put the TV so you can ensure that you are getting the right screen size.
- Picture: Unless the TV is very old or has some damage, the picture should still be good. See if the seller mentions anything about the picture quality as even any small issues can be frustrating.
- Model specs: If you know the model number or the series name such as Trinitron, do some research to find out more about the TV.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sony.